Amended Tax Return Filings

Home / Amended Tax Return Filings

Amended Return – Form 1040X

If you made a mistake with your federal and state income tax returns, you may be required to amend them. Or if you have you received a notice from the IRS indicating that a mistake was made on your tax return, you may need to amend them immediately. The CPA’s at Strategic Tax Consultants can help you correct a return if find errors or left out information on your original return. By filing an amended return:

• You might receive an additional refund.
• You might owe additional taxes as a result of the correction.

If you’re due a refund, the IRS will send it to you after it accepts your amended return. If you owe additional taxes, send the amount owed to the IRS. If you owe interest or a penalty, the IRS will bill you.
When you amend a return for a specific reason, it’s a good idea to review your entire original return. Our CPA’s can look for deductions, credits, and exemptions that you might have missed the first time around.
Also, review the filing status you used on your original return. You might be eligible for the head of household or qualifying widow(er) filing status. Both of those can save you considerable tax dollars.

Due Date for Filing Form 1040X

You usually must file an amended return by the later of these dates:
• Within three years from the date you filed your original return
• Within two years from the date you paid the tax
If you filed your return on or before the filing deadline, April 15 is considered the filing date. If you received an extension, the filing date is one of these:
• Actual date you filed your return within the extension period
• April 15 if you filed your return after the extension period expired

You might be amending your return due to a bad debt or a worthless security. If so, you have seven years after your original return’s due date to file the amended return.

You can also file an amended return after three years for a year when you carried a net operating loss (NOL). You must file the amended return within three years of the due date of the return for the year when the NOL arose.
The IRS usually has three years to assess additional taxes. However, longer periods apply for significant underreporting of income or fraud.

Below are some common reasons for filing an amendment:

• Claiming additional dependents,
• Failing to claim capital gains, such as income received from sales of stock
• Removing dependents you previously claimed,
• Reporting your proper filing status,
• Reporting additional income – from a W2, 1099, or other income statement,
• Making changes in your above-the-line deductions, standard deduction or itemized deductions,
• Changing your personal exemptions,
• Claiming additional tax credits, removing tax credits mistakenly taken, or recalculating the amount of the credits; and
• Reporting additional withholding – from a W2 or 1099